What's in Bloom Now

Monday, April 11, 2016

More the Fool?

Farm Funding!!! Or...maybe not.
I guess it's true what they say. Despite the recent "market correction" in the credit card industry, it's easier than ever to get a full line of credit for your new business. You don't have to dig very far before the offers start arriving.
    Here is the latest. I was digging through a pile of gorgeous dirt where the original sods from our vegetable garden and pre-chicken compost went, and there among the mass infiltration of goutweed roots was this handsome card from American Express, untarnished despite four years under a heap of old eggshells, clams (the non-currency sort, unfortunately; they were left in this midden heap from a couple of memorable summer meals), broken-down bits of tree prunings and ex-vegetable matter.
Look closely at the print on this solid-gold baby: is a "Business" AmEx, no less. As you can see, they have slashed a percentage off on this offer already!
     Folks, I have no idea how this came to be in the heap.
    On a slightly more sober note, however, three things became apparent from the hours it took to salvage 10 wheelbarrows full of crumbly, black earth for the new flower field:
     1: Don't put your compost pile anywhere near an invasive ground cover, or you may never reap the benefits of your "stash". This was too infested to dare using on any established beds, despite the fact that I went through it one shovel full at a time and took out every bit of goutweed root I could find. When we located the pile there, I had figured the stack of sod — originally 5 feet tall and just as wide —would smother the goutweed and even the blackberry canes growing nearby. Nope. They grew up through it and were clearly happier for the added richness of the soil.
    2: The "Greenware" plastic cup my daughter and I buried there four years ago (made of "compostable plastic") was still so perfectly intact, all the information about its biodegradable properties was still clearly legible. There, too was the "compostable" plastic fork included in the same experiment. Don't fool yourself into thinking bio-plastics are the sound way enjoy your kombucha and that deli quinoa salad. Even in this little pile, so close to the soil surface and in the company of aerobic decomposers of all sorts, there they sat, ready to serve. In a landfill, without those decompositional advantages, how fast will bio-plastic break down?
     3: Beware those generous credit offers. When they've even infiltrated your compost heap, it's time to unsubscribe. I just don't know about AmEx: have they checked my credit history? Are they following me? Not sure, but I know this: once I can't dig in my own backyard without getting "important information about my current credit card"  I've definitely hit my limit! Bloom Where You Are.

No comments:

Post a Comment