What's in Bloom Now

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

April 1: Ecological Border Patrol

My neighbor Mario is so smart! I explained that I wanted to lay down a two-foot strip of cardboard around the outside edge of my field to slow the goutweed from growing back into the planting area. He suggested I go to the bike shop, because those bike boxes can be cut in half to make two long, long uniform strips. I decided to use two layers of cardboard for extra smother potential. Mario was right: the whole perimeter is nearly done after two trips to the store, and the boxes make the perfect strip of material: very neat. It should decompose and feed the worms, too, adding to the soil in a way that my nemesis, black plastic, never can. It has been a little expensive, though. And I'm not sure what to do with the eight bikes that are left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment